AVG takes about 4 seconds to fire up the AV Engine and scan. I'm running the
16bit version 6 of AVG.
I would recommend you to use McAfee. I use version 4.32 for more than a year
now and it is as fast as F-Prot.
Also it was the first and only AV scanner for several days who was able to
detect viruses in pwd protected zip files like bagle.
Here is part of my logfile from another server running my own script with
stalker communigate pro:

01:07:33.69 4 EXTFILTER(ANTIVIRUS) inp(39): * start virusscan for
Queue\1760059.msg
01:07:34.67 4 EXTFILTER(ANTIVIRUS) inp(97): * Found the W32/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
virus !!! in Queue\1760059.msg MCAFEE.
01:07:35.28 4 EXTFILTER(ANTIVIRUS) inp(54): * Message Queue\1760059.msg
seems to be clean (F-Prot)
01:07:39.28 4 EXTFILTER(ANTIVIRUS) inp(83): * identified I-Worm/Netsky.Q in
Queue\1760059.msg With AVG

13:13:21.11 4 EXTFILTER(ANTIVIRUS) inp(39): * start virusscan for
Queue\1750545.msg
13:13:22.72 4 EXTFILTER(ANTIVIRUS) inp(93): * Found the W32/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
virus !!! in Queue\1750545.msg  MCAFEE.
13:13:23.61 4 EXTFILTER(ANTIVIRUS) inp(87): * Infection: W32/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
in Queue\1750545.msg  FPROT.
13:13:27.96 4 EXTFILTER(ANTIVIRUS) inp(83): * identified I-Worm/Netsky.C in
Queue\1750545.msg AVG.

I hope this helps to compare the speed. F-Prot is the 16bit Fprot for dos
version.

Adrian