If you are using Fprot and have configured it exactly as you recommend on
the WEBSITE will an Excel file with a dangerous Macro be detected?

It will not. But this recent development shows that the latest version of F-Prot may return an exit code of 8, whether or not you have requested it to. If that is the case, you can decide whether or not to block them by using VIRUSCODE 8 (block them) or OKCODE 8 (do not block them).

IE is there a middle ground with FPROT?  I currently have /SERVER in my
commandline and Viruscode 8 in my config (see below) because I did not want
infected Excel files passing.  But I do not want to block every Excel/Word
file just because it has a macro.

You do *not* need to use VIRUSCODE 8 to detect infected Excel/Word documents -- they will be caught as viruses. The VIRUSCODE 8 refers to suspicious files (where no virus was detected).

Alternatively if an Excel file that is NOT infected but contains a macro is
enclosed within a ZIP file with these same settings (that I am using) will
it also block it?

It may or may not, depending on whether F-Prot returns an exit code of 8 (it should not, but it now seems that it may!)

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers since 2000.
Declude Virus: Ultra reliable virus detection and the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you've been missing: Ask for a free 30-day evaluation.