Greg,

I like your thinking very much here.  Unfortunately this requires knowing all the possible outgoing servers for all of your clients, and because I'm gatewaying a bunch of E-mail, that is near impossible to keep up with.  I'm not about to give up on the idea though.

My BOUNCER filter that I described is very effective at handling NDR's when they contain original content, even if it is just the headers often times, but yesterday some child porn spammer used a real E-mail address of a customer and generated about 500 bounces, and I estimate that about 50 got through because they contained no content in the bounce such as NDR's sent by AOL.  Your filter might be a good way to manage the situation for individual domains that are having problems with real addresses being used, and implemented per-domain when a problem arises.  I'm wondering if you are aware of any NDR's that are getting through your setup, i.e. ones that don't contain the headers.

Thanks,

Matt