Now to my final question and the reason all of this happened.

Imagine you work for developers that have an opted in mailing list with
close to a million email addresses.  Valid opted in users.  When someone
opts out they are removed.  They can email opt out, they can even call the
office and opt out, all legit.

BUT over the years none of the bunk email addresses were ever cleaned from
the list. (As I said opt outs are removed).  Additionally in the early days
email formation validity was not even checked so there may be addresses
without an @ sign or addresses with @@@ etc etc etc.

So the goal was two fold.

1. Correct the process so future newsletters that are sent process the
bounces properly and remove any email addresses associated with hard
bounces.
2. Run the current list through some kind of email verification program to
avoid sending 1,000,00 extra emails over the course of the next few months
as additional newsletters go out.  They do NOT go out often, maybe 6 or 8
per year which helps the list remain valid.  They are not spammers.  Hence
the issue.  How do you clean such a list?

I tried Advanced maillist verifier AMV). Advanced Email verifier (AEV) and
BulkVerifier.

Now all of these programs seem like they may work but they get your ips in
trouble.  Furthermore what struck me as very odd is all of them are at least
2 years old at a minimum and no further dev has been done on them since.
This led me to believe the obvious.  You simply cannot use these programs
anymore in today's environment.

That said I would like something that could at least look at the address and
verify that it indeed created correctly and then verify that the domain is a
valid mail domain.

I played with DIG and DIG does return the info for you to determine if the
domain is valid but it requires a lot of work to write a routine that would
correctly validate the domains.  I was using

Dig domainame MX

The problem is the return codes are not very easy to work with.  It's not
like I get a different errorlevel returned based on whether the domain has a
valid MX record or not  (which would be nice).

Any ideas are appreciated.

Regards

Doug