From: Max Renshaw-Fox [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 1999 12:16 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list delphi
Subject: RE: [DUG]: Adding a new column to a db file

I'm using BDE 5.01 and just tested on a Paradox table created using a
statement copied direct from localsql.hlp in the BDE directory...

CREATE TABLE "Shared.db"
(
  last_name CHAR(20),
  first_name CHAR(15),
  salary NUMERIC(10,2),
  dept_no SMALLINT,
  PRIMARY KEY (last_name, first_name)
)

I then added another field CHAR(25)...

ALTER TABLE "Shared.db" ADD AField VarChar(25)

Then tested VarChar just for interest...

ALTER TABLE "Shared.db" ADD NewField VarChar(25)

I have also found that a "Capability Not Supported" messages seem to be
followed by other things I know-to-work giving the same message until
the
BDE is unloaded and reloaded - I've never bothered to check it
systematically so can't guarantee this.

But it definitely works on .db = Paradox with latest BDE.

Max

Oh, this didn't work - 'Capability not supported'.

Got any other ideas?

---