>From the Delphi help:

ShortDateFormat The format string used to convert a date value to a
short string suitable for editing. For a complete description of date
and time format strings, refer to the documentation for the
FormatDateTime function. The short date format should only use the date
separator character and the  m, mm, d, dd, yy, and yyyy format
specifiers. The initial value is fetched from the sShortDate variable in
the [intl] section of WIN.INI.

LongDateFormat  The format string used to convert a date value to a long
string suitable for display but not for editing. For a complete
description of date and time format strings, refer to the documentation
for the FormatDateTime function. The initial value is fetched from the
sLongDate variable in the [intl] section of WIN.INI.

Search for Currency and Date/time Formatting Variables in the help...

Grant Black
Software Developer
SmartMove (NZ) Ltd
Phone:     +64 9 361-0219 extn 719