Mark,

The reason you have flashing scroll bars is because you have created them as
controls of their own right.  This means that they have their own window,
and hence they can receive focus.  If your custom control is derived from
TScrollingWinControl, there is a way for you to display scroll bars without
having to create TScrollBar components.  Just set the
Vert/HorzScrollBar.Visible property to true.

Hope this helps.
Dennis.