Hi Steve,

You would normally expect CoInitialize to be called automatically as part of
Applicaiton.Initialize.  If you create an automation obejct then this
certainly happens - have a look at the source for this.

It is ok to call CoInit manually, but you should also (probably) call
CoUnInitalize when you are done.  If you are using COM objects from freds
then you need to do this manually also.

Just to confuse the subject, you can also use OLEInitialize and
OLEUninitialize.  In fact you are 'sposed to use these if you are using OLE
objects rather than COM objects, but don't ask me to explain.