Cheers for info chaps.
> bitmap := TBitmap.Create; { Allocates memory and runs constructor }
> bitmap.Create; { just runs the constructor, doesnt allocate memory }
>BUT The constructor of TBitmap allocates its own memory structures, and
sets
>internal pointer values. It assumes its being run just after the memory

Seems to me it would have made more sense to design the Bitmap with a
self-check for iscreated, and if true then run a constructor with any
construction parameters different.
Indeed, there are several responsibilities with Bitmaps that may be could be
done within the component itself, rather than 'the responsibility of the
programmer' (gets out hose to cool off):-)
Al+