I agree it is sheer stupidity to attempt to lock out a vast audience from a
standard such as this. Philips in the 80's made a huge blunder by making
their video recording standard proprietry. It was streets ahead of VHS and
Beta (played/recorded both sides of the tape and had dynamic tracking and
better audio). As a result we end up with an inferior system because the
Japanese refused to pay Philips royalties.

Anyway, I burble. The details of Anders Melander's GIF is on the page below
http://www.melander.dk/
His GIF component does not afford anywhere near the compression of the
licensed version.
Cheers,
Alistair+