Dwane,

Hi.  If the form hasn't been shown for the first time, the VCL does not
create the window of TWinControl components.  There is no need to - because
they will never get focus until made visible.  Because of this, they do not
have a canvas and hence do not respond to PaintTo, etc.  Workaround: display
the form (to "hide" it, move it off the screen, eg. set the Left property to
say -5000.)

Hope this helps.
Dennis.