Steve Galyer asked:

> I have found a problem reading a flat file structure created
> in D4 when I attempt to read that same structure in D5.

> In D4 Edit1.Text will show 12, whereas in D5 it shows 16.

Reading the Upgrading to Delphi 5 section in the help will eventually
bring you to the "Default alignment" help topic where it states:

The compiler's default data alignment has changed from packed to unpacked
for Microsoft compatibility. Because the compiler's default data alignment
has changed, this section provides details on data alignment and potential
impacts on your Delphi applications.

So you should hunt this section down (search for "Default Alignment") and
read more. Basically you need to change the record declaration to be
packed so that the new quad word alignment doesn't bite you.

Cheers, Max.