From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
Behalf Of Mark Howard
Sent: Thursday, 21 October 1999 21:01
To: Multiple recipients of list delphi
Subject: [DUG]: Requirements for application upgrade D3 to D5

Hi guys

OK - a more carefully considered question!

This is the first time I have tried to update my application from on
version of Delphi to another.

I have recompiled the application in D5 and sent it to one user. They
have told me, however, that the system won't run, giving a message that
reads
"Error when opening database files.  Interface mismatch.  Engine version
different."
from which I assume that I have to re-distribute the BDE.

1st question - Is this assumption correct?

>From someone not very familiar with these issues, it seems to be a bit
of an imposition on users of a system to require them to re-install the
BDE  (particularly on a multiuser system where the BDE has to be
re-configured on each workstation) just because the system developer has
upgraded - ie there is no particular benefit to them.

2nd question - Out of interest, how do people normally distribute their
software (and the BDE with it) by CD, email or what?

Do you find there is resistance from clients to gratuitous upgrades?

I'm sorry if the answers to these questions seem self evident to most of
you.  Its just that before I go sending off almost 20 copies of the
latest BDE to people and talking through configuration and stuff with
many of them on the phone, I just want to make sure that it is all
necessary and that there are no short-cuts that I am unaware of.

Thanks

Mark