Nic Wise wrote:

> > Of course I may get recommended here to use one computer and just try
> > several video cards. Done that , it costs money, depending on how
> > many cards
> > one tries, but finally it fixes the icons.
> >
> > Not that easy with laptops videcards swaps. That is why when I
> > was getting a
> > new laptop I was insisting on letting me to try to install D5
> > before I buy.
> > Toshiba people looked at me like at an idiot. They kept saying that laptop
> > was OK and video card was fine and everything was top of the range and why
> > would not it work.
>
> I'm guessing that they have decient video cards in their systems, like
> NeoMagic or similar (not an exceptional video card, but they have good
> driver support)?

Hellooo!  If you read my original post on this you will see that the Dell is
installed with this "decent video card" (NeoMagic) and the very latest driver.
I am NOT loading up any more component images than are provided with a vanilla
install of D3 Prof.

So where does the problem lie??

> I think its simple: dont by anything with a cheap video card. If you buy a
> new machine, specify what video card you want in it. If they will not ship
> it, go somewhere else. If the card (or monitor) does not do 1024x768 @ 75hz
> @ 32bit color, think about something that can. Matrox are a good start, as
> are most things using the TNT or TNT2 chipset.

You suggest here that if Delphi doesn't display properly then the problem is a
cheap (and nasty?) Video card.  Yet above you accept that the NeoMagic card is
OK.  For your info the NeoMagic card will support display at 1024x768 @75Hz and
32 bit colour.

Even if this card proves to be OK in a Toshiba but cheap in a Dell   8-)   it
still doesn't explain why Delphi worked fine in an older Dell of similar spec
(with the same video card).

I do believe that suggesting the problem is caused by crappy video cards is a
bit of a glib response from Borland - in the face of what is clearly a problem
that is experienced faily widely.

Mark

begin:vcard
n:Howard;Mark