----- Original Message -----
From: Nic Wise <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Yes and no.

Yes, Delphi 5 CAN talk to DB's without the BDE - Interbase Express and ADO
express, but no, not to DBF files out of the box (well, you might be able to
do it thru ADO)

There are 3rd party components that can read DBF tho - other people on the
list should be able to point you to them.

Also of note: Delphi 5 STANDARD includes NO DATABASE CONNECTIVITY AT ALL -
no BDE, no data aware controls, nothing. You need Pro or Enterprise to get
that.