Paul

> <sigh> Whatever, Neven. I guess I'm just not as smart as you...

Don't pout it doesn't suit intelligent people

My mirth was based on the fact that any app could be considered collapsed
N-tier but
if you are going to 'invent' terminology  then I'd be prepared for
commentary

>That is unless you _want_ to update each and every invoice line into the
>server as it's typed or called stored procedures to recalculate the
>extension each and every time the user changes the price, quantity,
>discount, commission rate, etc. on an invoice line.

This is crux of the difficultly with tiered apps..that single tier apps
'horizontal' UI
business logic does not translate well into tiered partitioning and this
applies to
2 tier SQL based as much as any other (ASP COM) based systems

My personal approach is to drive the presentation of data at the front end
but enforce
at the back end in your example above the data stored in raw form is
the price, quantity, discount, commission but linettotal would be
(price*quantity*(100-discount)/100)

That can be presented at the front end without calling a stored proc (or
Object method) to calculate it

> But maybe I'm just stupid.

Never meant to imply as such

Highest Regards