>>I have an old D1 stand-alone program that now must be multi-user between
two
>>peer-to-peer'd Win95 or 98 machines.

If you are using Paradox there is a TI on the borland website to show how
to setup the bde correctly.  From what I can recall set Local Share to TRUE
(so data is saved immediately and not cached) and set the Net Dir setting
to be the same directory in both BDE setups.  It has been a while since I
have had to do this but if you run into problems I may be able to help.
The only real code change that you will probably want to put in is some
logic when editing a record to check if it is locked by the other system
(and if so either inform the user as such or use a retry function to try
and edit again after a timeout and faulter the edit attempt after a certain
amount of tries).

www.borland.com\devsupport should get you close to the TI List.

Hope this helps...
JED