> I believe CMD.EXE runs as a win32 process - not in the NTVDM
>
> if you have the hwnd for it try posting a WM_CLOSE message

It is. You get the pid for CMD.EXE returned from Createprocess and you
can stop it no trouble. The 16-bit applications running under it however are
run in NTVDM. Killing CMD.EXE doesnt stop them. WM_CLOSE messages
are ignored too - I think because it is the designated console for the windows
program. I need to be the case so I can read the output from the 16-bit
program which doesnt use STD_OUTPUT.