> Is .Net an application or an operating system?

Is MSIE part of the OS, or just an application? :) I'd say app, but the DOJ
disagree's with me. That line is VERY blury (like my head at the moment -
see previous post)

> i.e.: If the break up order is confirmed in two or three years time, how
> will Microsoft be affected if all their applications are hosted by .Net?
> They could open source Windows and replace lost revenue with revenue from
> the (by then) required .Net runtime... Picture it - they could even get
> replacement revenue from Linux!

would be nice. What I dont get tho - why has noone taken the linux kernel
(which is rather nice), dumped all the unix crap (ie, the file system, X
windows etc) and made a BeOS-alike in the same way people do with Mach. I
think it would be rather good, tho a lot of work. Hell, even just throwing X
away and putting in a REAL GUI would do.

> PS: wired did an interesting write up on the trial. If you missed the
print
> edition, the online version is at:

hm, sure I have it in my 6 months of unread wired - problem with having too
much reading material.