From: Neven MacEwan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> also clearer if you use ansi join syntax (which we all should do),

Personally I think that ansi join syntax sucks the big kumera.  All that
JOIN...ON stuff is such bollocks!  I've never yet encountered an SQL dialect
so poorly constructed that it couldn't work out inner joins without such
syntax, and it's all less readable anyway.  In fact I can hardly make the
given example readable no matter how I try:

SELECT
    p.project_name, s.staff_name, m.staff_name
FROM
    project p
                JOIN
    staff s
        on s.staff_id = s.staff_id
                JOIN
    staff m
        on m.staff_id = s.staff_id

was my best effort (11 lines).  Conversely, consider the following four
lines:

select p.project_name, s.staff_name, m.staff_name
from project p, staff s, staff m
where p.staff_id = s.staff_id
  and m.staff_id = s.staff_id

You might not notice, but it wasn't until I formatted the statement this way
and could actually read it that I noticed and fixed the syntax error (left
as an exercise for the reader, compare the two statements).  ("But strict
ansi joins are part of our methodology!" I hear you cry.  Well I suggest you
read what Joel Spolsky says about your methodology then:
http://joel.editthispage.com/stories/storyReader$287)

Cheers,
Carl