Mark

> I understand that I can distribute Interbase for 6 simultaneous users from
> my existing D5 Pro license.

I didn't think so..but i could be wrong, I would suggest MSDE here but the
anti M$ crowd
would prob shout me down (even if it is free)

> I will have no need to scale my app beyond this, and it is a pretty self
> contained application,

I could be motivational here and say - "Don't think small", One of the
downsides of porting to
an SQL Server is that though they support 'Server Cursors' (essentially a
method to allow bidirectional dataset scrolling,
like an ISAM) DONT use them, therefore test any access methods to make sure
'they' dont use them.
This is not to be confused with client side cursors (ala ADO) Which copy the
data onto the client for scrolling access
using a 'firehouse cursor' (which i don't consider a cursor at all!). Maybe
someone could leap in here and
illuminate us as to how IBO and IBX do this, What resolving control you have
(Primary Key, Changed Fields, all)
and conflict resolution. It seems (actually it IS) everytime you introduce a
data access layer to an app,
you also introduce an requirement for conflict resolution!

> with little need for data sharing with other apps.
> Interbase and its data access tools (IBX) are already distributed with
> Delphi.

I'd also look at mODBC it's free and pretty light..again if you are going to
spend $900 to go to D6 then dbExpress would be good, I'm not an expert on
IBX or IBO but anything which promises an easy port from the BDE gives me
shivers

HTH

Neven