"Nic Wise" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 11/06/2001 11:26:52:

>Nope, the code has been bought back inhouse for IB6.x and beyond. What
>was released as free and opensource is still that way - future stuff
>may not be.

So they made IB6 free, got a bunch of people using it, then decided
that it could turn a profit again?  That's almost funny :>

Firebird might be worth looking into if you don't want to shell out
bucks on licensing, but I guess if you want to maintain future
compatibility you'll have to pay for IB>6.

>Firebird <> IB - it might have at v6.0, but not beyond that - the code
>forked almost immediatly.

Which was expected by a lot of people.  Firebird is based on the
opensource IB6, but divergent from it.  Wonder if the various IB6 ODBC
drivers and component sets out there will support it?

--
Corey Murtagh
The Electric Monk