Guidance please.

I need to be able to create a (probably text) "Master" file and append data to it from time to time from a Delphi application.On occassions an operator will need to asyncronously access this file and use Excel to manipulate and display the current data as they choose.

 I'm hoping to have this process initiated within my application, firstly creating an Excel compatible (*.xls) copy of the "Master" text file thus ensuring that the original isn't used and maybe altered in some way, then calling Excel. I want the file import to be transparent to the user (no hastle with wizards) hence the need for compatability.

My questions are :-

    a) How do I create an Excel compatible file from a delimited text file ?

    b) Should I be copying some sort of database file instead ?

TIA

Colin

Colin R Dillicar
Automation Engineering Ltd