From: Nello Sestini [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, 23 August 2001 10:34
To: Multiple recipients of list delphi
Subject: Re: [DUG]: Backing Up DB Files

under the assumption that a "backup" is a copy of the
files you can use later this sounds like a bad idea
to me.

if you absolutely must do this it would be nice to
get some "cooperation" from the running application
to go into a "readonly" mode (flushing buffers first
or closing tables) while you're zipping so that you
know your backup won't have integrity problems later.

finally, if the data are such that they don't have a
lot of complicated internal linkages - or they are
links you can reconstruct later if you need to - ZIP
only the DB files (no index files) and reconstruct
indexes later if you need to as part of your recovery.

FWIW

-ns