If I have a TQuery with a select statement like 'Select ID from myTable where ID = 1' am I correct in assuming that the best way to verify that there is a record (or more than 1) with ID = 1 is to test the Recordcount property?

The reason I ask is that if all I am interested in is the fact that there are more than 0 records then the Recordcount method seems overkill (as at some point the entire recordset is navigated which in the case of a large recordset is time consuming).

...I guess I can override recordcount or implement my own method but before I do this thought I should double check.

Thanks