Hello Stephen,
Thanks for advice.
My attitude perhaps is like Peter Cooke and Dudley Moore skit 'learning to play
Beethoven' (if you are familiar with it).
I _expected_ Tlistbox to behave that way, rather than using another component
as I am trying to reduce resources in the software.

Will stick to a stringgrid as already have one of those on the form.

By the way, earlier query about forcing mouse up.....
The component I want to force into an off/up state is not a tbutton, rather it
is a derivative of TGraphicControl, so does not have the typical behavior or
inheritances of the tbutton hence

TSpeedButton.Down := False; //is not applicable

Regards,
Alistair+