Its happened for two libraries, so it is consistent. I dont see how I can prove it to any of you.

My problem was that it has often recompiled the 3rd party libraries, even when it had access to the dpk and dcps and the dcus. The only way I could stop it was to rename the pas files so that it would not find them. I was not doing a build and there was nothing wrong with the dates. I have had this problem since D3.

It appears that if the Unit output directory is blank then it is confused about where to put the dcus. Sometimes they go where the pas files are, other times they go where the dpk is, yet other times they go where the include files for that unit are. The amazing thing is that when it changes the output directory, it actually removes that dcu from the old directory.
No, I wasnt smoking rope, I made a witness watch it... and it performed.

The solution is to always put something in the unit output directory. In my case I have just put "." And finally, after over 6 years, the compiler works as required.

P.S. I still have the problem sometimes where it can not find the source file with ctrl-enter.... despite the fact that the path is specified in 3 places. I suspect that its the same internal problem with directories as the unit one above. Do CodeGear engineers know that windows changes the current directory all the time.

--
*Rohit Gupta*
* B.E. Elec.   M.E.   Mem IEEE    Associate IEE*

This email and any attachments contain information, which is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege and copyright. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, distribute or copy this email or attachments. If you have received this in error, please notify us immediately by return email and then delete this email and any attachments.