Marshland Engineering wrote:
> I have been using Delphi 4 for the few projects I have.
>
> Embarcadero Technologies are a offering 2 for 1 purchase.
>
> Why is Delphi 2009 – Professional Upgrade and Delphi 2007 for Win32 R2
> Professional Upgrade both the same price.
>
> Is it worth the upgrade.
Depends on what you are after.  The IDE has many, many new features
since V4 that will improve developer productivity, perhaps significantly.
Support for recent OS features,  .Net, Unicode Strings etc etc.

>  From what I understand  2007 and 2009 makes bigger exes and are they is
> compatible with Ver 4 software.

> I have quite a few third party ver 4 components installed on my system.

If your 3rd Party material is supplied as DCU's or BPL's then there is
absolutely no compatibility with V4.

There may be compatibility if you have source code to the components,
but it is unlikely due to a myriad of subtle changes.

Most 3rd Party code developers re-release for each Delphi version,
taking advantage of new IDE/Compiler features and external environment
support.