> An interesting analogy (and why is it that automotive analogies insist
> on
> cropping up in software development matters?).
>
> Your car manufacturer presumably doesn't tell you that in most cases
> you
> should just ignore those settings - they are there specifically and
> precisely to add "functionality".  The manufacturer isn't trying to
> pretend
> that their default auto setting are going to work for everyone.
>
> The GC on the other hand is supposed to just work, and the advice is
> "leave
> it alone"... but (they add) *in case* you need to there are these
> additional
> controls... but really, best leave them alone, because if you *do* use
> them
> then you will create other problems.
>
> Using "economy" mode won't break your car.
>
> "Tuning" the GC can cause serious issues for your application.
>

> So the analogy breaks down a little - these aren't "economy" and
> "performance" settings, they are "Service Mode" settings not intended
> for
> you to use except in extremis.
>

> Extending the analogy waaaay beyond breaking point... when automatic
> transmissions are great when they work, but when they go wrong they
> cost a
> helluva lot more to fix/maintain than a manual box.
>
> And there will be times when the auto transmission is frustratingly
> limiting
> and prevent you from obtaining the full performance of which the rest
> of
> your vehicle is capable.
>

> If all you ever do is the school/grocery run, then an automatic may
> suit you
> just fine, but if you want more flexibility, lower maintenance and fuel
> costs and more fun, plain and simple, from your vehicle then a manual
> box is
> the way to go.
>
> ;)

I was trying to be funny rather than accurate :).  It's an analogy that breaks
down pretty quickly.  The person who originally used the gearbox/gc analogy on
me did so to explain why he would never use a gc.  He also added that he only
drove a manual because that is what the F1 drivers used, so I rapidly lost
interest in his opinion.

But it does come down to appropriate use.  A gc is great for some applications,
ok for some and completely useless for others.  Exactly the same applies to
manual memory management.

Sean