I agree.

If Embarcadero really want to encourage people who are Delphi 5, 6 or 7 to
upgrade then they need to make Delphi 2007 available to anyone who buys Delphi
2009 onwards (in exactly the same way that Delphi 1 was given to you for free
when buying later versions).

It is a fact of life that some projects should NOT go Unicode, whether because
of specific requirements or simply that no one has any interest in doing the
testing required after the transition. Yet at the same time people may want to
move forward from Delphi 5/6/7 (eg DevExpress no longer support Delphi 5 which
was a compelling reason for us). That means that some people are going to want
to keep using Delphi 2007 for at least as long (possibly longer?) than people
kept using Delphi 1.

We are prime examples. We wanted to upgrade from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2009 and
get 2007. We were told no, can't do that. So we tried buying Delphi 2007 with
software assurance (to get Delphi 2009). Again, told can't do that. We ended up
buying Delphi 2007 withOUT software assurance which meant effectively
Embarcadero were saying they didn't want our money.

Importantly though it appears that for people like us at least things have
improved - Malcolm Groves says they should be able to work it out to give us a
version of what we wanted, so there is hope. We will just have to see if they
will carry this to its logical conclusion and make Delphi 2007 available for
everyone with 2009+.

David.