From: delphi-boun...@delphi.org.nz [mailto:delphi-boun...@delphi.org.nz]
On Behalf Of David Brennan
Sent: Thursday, 19 August 2010 5:07 p.m.
To: 'NZ Borland Developers Group - Delphi List'
Subject: Re: [DUG] Delphi XE (2011)

There are both positive and negative aspects that I see.

Obviously this release has less genuine "meat" in it than recent
releases which is a negative. Little in there excites us, although any
further bug fixes, performance/stability improvements, help improvements
will be welcome (probably the biggest thing we would see in this
particular update - we are only using Delphi 2007 but if we do make the
jump across the Unicode barrier then we will want the landing pad to be
suitably robust!).

Positively though I would rather they recognise that it was foolish to
think they could do a strong cross compilation version in just one year
and postpone it a year (as it appears they have), than to have them
release a half baked dog which forever puts people off the Linux/OS-X
support.

Not that we could care less about Linux/OS-X support but I would rather
have Delphi being managed by a company which thinks of the future rather
than shipping incomplete rubbish (Delphi 8 anyone?) in order to suck in
a bit more money now at the cost of their future.

Back to the negatives, the biggest concern in all this is that it may
mean 64bit gets pushed back by yet another year. Their roadmap shows 3
releases before it says something along the lines of FULL 64bit support!

We don't actually need 64bit right now but the writing is on the wall
and soon, perhaps next month, perhaps next year, I can see something
will come up that requires us to build a 64bit exe and at that point we
are going to want it immediately and urgently. It appears a number of
Delphi developers have already hit that point and I can't help thinking
they are bleeding more customers (permanently!) for every year 64bit is
postponed.

Cheers,
David.