We also have the problem with the "limbo" at the start of an editting
session.  I finally traced it to the virusscan software!  We put .pas,
.dfm, .dcu and .bpl in the exceptions list and the problem has pretty
much vanished.  As mentioned in other replies, program structure and
module cross-referencing also plays a factor, but for us it was the time
it took to scan during the background compile process.

Sid Gudes wrote:
> I've got a similar problem, although not as severe as what you
> mentioned below.  The "limbo" of high disk access only occurs once at
> the start of my editing session, and my guess is that Delphi is
> trying to pull together all the info it needs for code completion
> and/or code parameters.  You could try turning those off and see if it helps.
>
> Also, even 1 GB of RAM may not be enough if you have a lot of
> resident processes.  Do a Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up task manager, and
> look at the "Commit Charge" at bottom right.  If the first number is
> close to 1 GB (say 900 megs or so) then you might have thrashing
> going on, which slows things up a lot.  In that case adding more RAM
> should help.
>

> At 08:48 AM 10/15/2007, Chuck Belanger wrote:
>
>> Hello:
>>
>> As the program that I'm working has been growing, at some point--about
>> 10-12 mb EXE size--Delphi 7 started becoming VERY much slower. What used
>> to be seconds to compile, takes 2 minutes. Whenever I scroll or even add
>> a few keystrokes to the editor, Delphi goes into some limbo where the
>> disk drive is accessed a lot and I can't continue until it is finished.
>> Looks like some kind of auto save or auto compile, but it takes almost
>> as long as compiling does.
>>
>> I'm using a single CPU, 2.5 gHz system.
>>
>> I've done the following. Anything else I can do?
>>
>> Increased RAM from 512mb to 1Gb - this cut down compile time by half,
>> but still way slower than it was before.
>>
>> Also, noticed that even small, test projects compile slower.
>>
>> Noticed my C: drive (used for WindowsXP, SP2, btw) and my D: partition
>> for programs and data, was getting low on disk space so I repartitioned
>> that from 10-20 gb, which helped only a little, although helped Windows
>> noticeably.
>>
>> Thanks for any tips,
>>
>> Chuck Belanger

> Regards,
> Sid Gudes
> PIA Systems Corporation
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Del Texley
IS Administrator
LIPA
(541) 484-6430

solicitor-client or other applicable privileges), or constitute non-public
information. Any use of this information by anyone other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error,
please immediately reply to the sender and delete this information from your
system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this transmission
by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.