On Jul 21, 2011, at 12:44 AM, Francesco Vollero wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 12:29 AM, David Lutterkort <lut...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 16:19 +0200, mfoj...@redhat.com wrote:
>>> From: Michal Fojtik <mfoj...@redhat.com>
>>
>> I have one nit with this patch series:
>>
>>> +    # You can use 'user_data' feature to set 'user_data' parameter when
>>> creating
>>> +    # a new instance where this parameter can hold gzipped CDROM iso which
>>> will
>>> +    # be mounted into created instance after boot
>>>      feature :instances, :user_data
>>
>> We can't call this ISO upload 'user_data' in the API - there are very
>> different expectations around what that data is for vSphere than for
>> EC2/Euca.
>>
>> Instead, we should call this feature something else, say 'user_iso', and
>> accept a different parameter for it.
>>

> Tomorrow with Michal we gonna analyze the whole suggestion.
>
>> Ideally, we could also support the feature user_data straightup, with
>> the effect that we will create an ISO from it, place the user-supplied
>> data inside that ISO with a fixed file name, and attach that as the
>> CD-ROM.
>>

> Would be a bit tricky, because we need to deal with temporary iso file
> and this would break our choice to not store anything on deltacloud
> system, but tomorrow we start doing a brainstorming on that too :)

+ I think we will need to call 'mkisofs' or something similar in order
to build an ISO image, which will not work on Windows (except user will
install this utility via cygwin)

Instead of this I would prefer to use 'user_data' feature to set a 'extraConfig'
parameter for VM. Then script inside instance can eventually connect to the
VSphere
SOAP API and fetch this data. I think in EC2 they use same behavior.

  -- Michal

Michal Fojtik, mfoj...@redhat.com
Deltacloud API: http://deltacloud.org