I just massaged Tong's patches a little bit. I squashed his two into one,
and rebased the result against the latest HEAD.

In addition I made a few changes, which I left as separate patches (but
would probably squash some for committing them)

I would be ok with committing these as they are - there's still some
changes I'd like to make, but I think that can be done once hte patches are
committed.

Tong: please let me know what you think, and how much I broke in the
process ;) If you ACK them, I'll commit the lot tomorrow.

David