Lilypond doesn't accept I due to "standard practice". But other scores do, so transcribing a part to transpose it produces problems.

The I can be added as a Text item, but not as a boxed Text item.

The manual suggests that something like

\markup\box
"I"

might work, but this causes a Typesetting error.

Joe

PS This isn't REALLY important if I haven't misunderstood, and it requires modifications; I can lend people a biro to box their "I"'s.