On this topic of generating the documentation..

Could someone who knows how to generate the documentation please document
how this is done (and anything that needs to be set up/installed to do
this).

The http://incubator.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html page documents
how to build Derby, but doesn't discuss how to build the documentation.

The reason I ask is that developers may wish to contribute documentation
changes and may wish to generate the docs on their local machine to check
they are ok before submitting a patch and asking the site to be updated.

I will post a message to the user list with some feedback on the Derby
Documentation.

Regards,

John Sisson