Dag H. Wanvik (JIRA) wrote:

"FOR UPDATE" required for updatable result set to work

Key: DERBY-231

To get an updatable result set, the JDBC 3.0 spec, section 14.2.4 "Modifying ResultSet Objects" states:

   "ResultSet objects with concurrency CONCUR_UPDATABLE can be updated
    using ResultSet objects".

In addition, Derby requires the SQL SELECT statement to have a "FOR
UPDATE" clause for updates to be allowed. This may be a usability issue, as
many examples, e.g. in "JDBC API tutorial and reference and reference"
book and the JDBC 3.0 Specification (14.2.4.1) do not include a "FOR
UPDATE" clause in the SQL SELECT.

Mamta Satoor says:

"Derby implements the JDBC updatable resultset by using the existing
updatable cursor implementation. And in order to do that, it requires
that the SELECT statement should include the FOR UPDATE clause. One
can change the Derby implementation so that it does not require FOR
UPDATE clause to piggyback on updatable cursor implementation."

Dan DeBrunner says:

"Technically I wonder if this is covered by the JDBC standard, I see
nothing in the JDBC 3.0 that states any requirements for the SQL
statement for an updateable result set. I know the JDBC tutorial book
has some guidelines as to what will typically work, but isn't it up to
the database engine to define what works here?

Having said that I think that not requiring the FOR UPDATE would be a
useful improvement."

In testing MySQL 4.1, PostgreSQL 8.0, and Oracle 10g Release 1, all drivers for these databases function identically regardless whether the query string contains "FOR UPDATE" or not. For source code compatibility with other databases, the current requirement should be lifted. I've added this note to JIRA.