Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> We have the same issue embedding Derby in Geronimo. The use of global
> system properties is a real problem for us, not only because it
> precludes multiple instances in the same JVM but also because it makes
> the interface to JMX harder.
>
> Several people have asked for alternative configuration mechanisms.
> However, this is a systemic issue for Derby and probably not easy to
> change.

The general goal was to not rely on global properties, but to allow most
if not all properties to be set on a per-database level. This probably
hasn't been carried through completely, but it was a goal.

I think it's not clear from the documentation that properties like
derby.system.home are optional.

Dan.