Is it possible JAVA_HOME is pointing to another jvm?
It would be one situation where you'd get the error you mention.

And then it is required to add the bootclasspath to the location of
the java.sql classes (e.g. database_enabler.jar), which is an
additional package, or you'll get java.sql.SQLException not found. If
you either specify the other main jvm libraries (classes.zip,
charconv.zip) in the bootclasspath, or specify the java.sql jar/dir
explicitly in combination with -jcl:max it will work better.

So: j9 -jcl:max
-Xbootclasspath/p:c:/wsdd5.6/ive/lib/database_enabler.jar
-Dbootcp=c:/wsdd5.6/ive/lib/database_enabler.jar
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunTest ...

I can't right now remember if it always finds charconv.zip
automatically, for some of the localization tests this may be required
in the bootclasspath as well.

There are no examples in the testing README because 1. I wanted to
keep the doc focused on more standard jvms and 2 these bootclasspath
details are not necessarily something to do with the test harness, but
more with j9...

Myrna