To help debug this, try setting both derby.locks.monitor=true and derby.locks.deadlockTrace=true . This will print the lock table dump when the timeout or deadlock happens to derby.log. The lock table will give information on what locks are being held etc..

Sunitha.

Mike Matrigali wrote:

I have not been able to reproduce this issue.

Derby uses nested internal transactions when updating the IDENTITY
column, it does not try to guarantee that a value won't be lost.  These
locks should not be held until end of user transaction, they are
committed separate from the user transaction, so the lock is held for
the time it takes to update the system catalog row and commit the
internal transaction.

There are some user level things the other transaction could be
doing to block this:
   o other transaction did ddl on this table and has not committed.

   o other transaction did some sort of metadata select either
     explicitly against derby system catalog or through jdbc
     metadata call.

I assume you
have not set any of the lock timeout properties, it is definitely
possible to block on this lock for a short time so setting locktimeout
to -1 will also cause this issue, but default timeout should not
be happening.

The best 1st step to debugging locking issues is to use the properties
to get the system to dump out more information about the lock table when
you encounter the lock timeout.  Try setting derby.locks.monitor=true.

In this case the interesting information is what locks are being held by
the other transaction
blocking this one.

On a side note, what jvm/derby version are you using.  Getting stack
traces with line numbers can help out a lot in debugging this stuff.
I don't know if I get them because I am using a development build, or
if it is the jvm environment I have.  This should have nothing to do
with the lock timeout, just makes it easier to diagnose the issue.

Craig Russell wrote:

Hi,

I'm running into a locking issue when using generated keys. My primary
key column is defined as DATASTORE_IDENTITY BIGINT NOT NULL GENERATED
ALWAYS AS IDENTITY. I don't care about the key being transactional. That
is, if a transaction rolls back, I can live with the key that was
allocated being permanently unused.

My application has two transactions inserting rows into the same table,
and the threads have internal synchronization such that I need to have
both insert statements succeed independently. The isolation level is the
default.
When I run the transactions, I get a timeout exception indicating that
only one of the transactions can get an autogenerated key and the other
has to wait until the first transaction commits. This stack trace is
from the transaction that is waiting for the first transaction to commit.

    [java] ERROR 40XL1: A lock could not be obtained within the time
requested
    [java]      at
org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(StandardExcep
tion.java)
    [java]      at
org.apache.derby.impl.services.locks.LockSet.lockObject(LockSet.java)
    [java]      at
org.apache.derby.impl.services.locks.SinglePool.lockAnObject(SinglePool.
java)
    [java]      at
org.apache.derby.impl.services.locks.SinglePool.lockObject(SinglePool.ja
va)
    [java]      at
org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.xact.RowLocking3.lockRecordForWrite(RowL
ocking3.java)
    [java]      at
org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.conglomerate.OpenConglomerate.lockPos
itionForWrite(OpenConglomerat
e.java)
    [java]      at
org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.conglomerate.GenericConglomerateContr
oller.fetch(GenericConglomera
teController.java)
    [java]      at
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.catalog.DataDictionaryImpl.getSetAutoincrement
Value(DataDictionaryImpl.java
)
    [java]      at
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.InsertResultSet.getSetAutoincrementVal
ue(InsertResultSet.java)
    [java]      at
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.BaseActivation.getSetAutoincrementValu
e(BaseActivation.java)
    [java]      at
org.apache.derby.exe.ac40348015x0104x675cxbca4xffffdab5f0bf0.e0(Unknown
Source)
    [java]      at
org.apache.derby.impl.services.reflect.DirectCall.invoke(ReflectGenerate
dClass.java)
    [java]      at
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.RowResultSet.getNextRowCore(RowResultS
et.java)
    [java]      at
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.NormalizeResultSet.getNextRowCore(Norm
alizeResultSet.java)
    [java]      at
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.DMLWriteResultSet.getNextRowCore(DMLWr
iteResultSet.java)
    [java]      at
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.InsertResultSet.open(InsertResultSet.j
ava)
    [java]      at
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.GenericPreparedStatement.execute(GenericPrepar
edStatement.java)
    [java]      at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedStatement.executeStatement(EmbedStatemen
t.java)
    [java]      at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement.executeStatement(Embed
PreparedStatement.java)
    [java]      at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement.executeUpdate(EmbedPre
paredStatement.java)
    [java]      at
org.jpox.store.rdbms.request.Request.executeUpdate(Request.java:69)
    [java]      at
org.jpox.store.rdbms.request.InsertRequest.execute(InsertRequest.java:25
3)
    [java]      at
org.jpox.store.rdbms.table.ClassTable.insert(ClassTable.java:1673)
    [java]      at
org.jpox.store.StoreManager.insert(StoreManager.java:634)
    [java]      at
org.jpox.state.StateManagerImpl.internalMakePersistent(StateManagerImpl.
java:2940)
    [java]      at
org.jpox.state.StateManagerImpl.makePersistent(StateManagerImpl.java:291
3)

Am I misusing the key generation? Can I get nontransactional key generation?

Thanks,

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]