"David W. Van Couvering" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi, all.  It is my belief that there is a current need for shared code,
> not just future needs.  I'd like to test this belief.
>
> Can those of you who are working on functionality that could use shared
> code please send an item to the list describing what it is you want to
> do and why you have a need for a shared code infrastructure?
>
> Also, if you have a general opinion that it is important (or not) to
> have shared code sooner than later, your views on this would be much
> appreciated.

Personally I think that sharing common code is an absolute
requirement, and I cannot understand why anyone would question it. If
sharing code causes problems, then those problems have to be
addressed somehow. I cannot see any linking/versioning problem that would
justify maintaining multiple copies of the same code, or to maintain
your own version of external libraries.

I'll admit that I don't understand all the issues around multiple
jars, classpaths, multiple apps in a vm and class-loaders, but I do
know from past experience that maintaining online upgradability takes
a lot of developer effort, while it provides only marginal benefit to
users in most cases.

--
dt