Placing the derby.properties in the tests directory made the MailJdbc test run.

Great!

taking too much time(potentially due to many sleep calls).

Yes, I think that is a flaw with that test program; it is designed to
run very slowly so it can be left running in the background for weeks
or months at a time.

Can you look into the program? Perhaps there is a way to configure
the sleeps so that it runs much faster, consuming more resources
of course, but perhaps revealing any hidden problems sooner?

Please let me know if I can upload the patch on the jira,

Yes, that would be great.

bryan