Rick, where do I find the instructions about how to run regression tests
using only the jars in the distribution? I kinda sorta vaguely remember how
to do this, but I hunted around the wiki and elsewhere and couldn't find a
nice clean set of instructions.

Meanwhile, I:
- verified the signatures and checksums
- verified the scripts were executable after extracting the distribution,
and worked properly
- spot-checked various parts of the release notes and documentation
- picked a couple fixes and re-verified them in the release

So things are looking quite good to me.

I'll spend some more time with the release candidate over the weekend, but
so far I have nothing (wrong) to report.

thanks,

bryan