I going to try and take a look at the readlocks issue, but it never reproduces for me. Could you post the kind of environment (# processors, jvm, OS) you were running when you saw the problem and the diff to the JIRA entry DERBY-861, i would like to know if all intermittent failures are in
the same place in the test.:

Rick Hillegas (JIRA) wrote:
[ http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-856?page=comments#action_12363970 ]
Rick Hillegas commented on DERBY-856:

This seems straightforward and the derbyall tests pass. NSinSameVM has the same
errors we see in the mainline. There is some instability in readlocks.sql but
that test passed when I re-ran it.

modify setCharacterStreamInternal to take a long for the length, and perform the
> max int check in the method

        Key: DERBY-856
Attachments: setCharacterStreamInternal.diff, setCharacterStreamInternal.stat

A similar change to setBinaryStreamInternal is being handled as part of DERBY-599.