Looks like we already have some problem.
org.apache.derby.iapi.sql.conn.ConnectionUtil.getCurrentLCC throws SQLException with status set as SQLState.NO_CURRENT_CONNECTION (0803). It doesn't use Util and constructs the SQLException directly. Changing this to use Util is the easy part but this state requires us to throw SQLNonTransientConnectionException.

I am searching rest of the code to find if there is any other class which throw SQLException directly. In my view if there are too many such instances its going to be much simpler and cleaner solution to have a static methods in a class not associated with any instance to convert the exceptions to subtypes.

anurag