David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> This means if someone runs an app build against JDK 1.6 under a 1.5 or
> earlier VM they will get a runtime exception, and we should document
> what this exception is so that users know exactly what is wrong when
> they get it.  We should also warn developers that if they write code
> against JDBC4 it will not work with a 1.5 or earlier VM.

I've always thought the Derby documentation should not be documenting
information more relevant and usually better documented elsewhere. IMO
it's enough to say that JDBC 4.0 requires JDK 1.6. I'm not sure we can
determine what exception a JDBC 4.0 application running on JDK 1.5 or
earlier will get, the application may itself use generics and hit
problems before it loads any Derby code.

> By the way, wouldn't this be true for any application written against
> JDBC, regardless of what driver is being used?  Or am I missing something?

It's true for any application that takes advantage of features that are
not in an earlier VM or not in a VM of a different configuration.

Dan.