I have trudged some way into this bug and would like to ask the community's advice.

If we adopt the SQL spec's rules for casting to/from BOOLEAN, then we have to forbid the casting of BOOLEAN to integer types. Unfortunately, we have system procedures which do just this. Some of our system procedures cast the BOOLEAN columns in system tables to SMALLINT. In particular, SYSIBM.SQLGETTYPEINFO performs this cast when asked to retrieve ODBC type info.

I suspect we can kludge around this particular problem by replacing the CAST with a call to a coercing function. Howver, I fear this may be the tip of the iceberg. I am worried that removing the old, non-ANSI casting behavior (inherited from Cloudscape days) may create other backward compatibility problems.

I would like to ask for your guidance.