This is great, getting these tests into the suites.

I just ran the SURTest on my sandbox,to compare the output. The output you attached is the same as mine when running with DerbyNetClient.

In network mode, it seems that the JDBC network client is not consistent with the embedded client in terms of giving warnings and propagating the correct sql state and error message. I think some of these issues calls for new JIRAs.

I have also checked looked more closely at the output from the SURTest running in embedded mode.
I think SURTest in some cases reveals some bugs in exisiting Derby code.

Especially, the output from running

testScrollablePositionedUpdateWithForUpdate1() seems to reveal a serious bug:

It seems that the current scrollable read-only resultsets allows positioned updates if you use "for update" in the query. However, the tuple actually being updated, is not necessarily the same as the current tuple in the resultset/cursor. The test therefore fails with an assertion when it tries to verify the data in the result set.

I reproduced this error in ij:

ij> get scroll insensitive cursor c1 as 'select * from t for update';
ij> next c1;
ID         |C
1          |hei
ij> next c1;
ID         |C
2          |hei igjen
ij> next c1;
ID         |C
3          |hei hei hei
ij> previous c1;
ID         |C
2          |hei igjen
ij> previous c1;
ID         |C
1          |hei
ij> update t set C='hade' where current of c1;
1 row inserted/updated/deleted
ij> select * from t;
ID         |C
1          |hei
2          |hei igjen
3          |hade

3 rows selected
ij>

So the positioned update, updated tuple 3, instead of tuple 1...!
Once we provide the SUR implementation, this will no longer be an issue.

Andreas

David W. Van Couvering wrote:
So, I pinged Andreas on the backchannel, and he responded that the failures with SURTest are expected (as we are still lacking some of the Scrollable Updatable ResultSet (SUR) functionality), that the SURQueryMixTest should pass when I appy the patch for DERBY-795, and that if I remove some printStackTrace debug calls from ConcurrencyTest that should run clean.

I made his recommended changes, and confirmed.

So, I would like to see these tests in derbyall. I re-ran the tests with framework=DerbyNetClient and SURQueryMixTest and ConcurrencyTest both again pass. They also pass running with the 1.3 JDK. I have no idea if they will pass or succeed with the IBM JDK as I don't have access to that.

Under DerbyNetClient, SURTest has more/different failures and errors. Some of these appear to be related to null SQL States. Andreas, perhaps you can look at these failures and tell me if they look OK. For now I won't be adding SURTest to the derbynetclientmats suite.

I also ran with framework=DerbyNet and got hard stop failures saying a null username is not supported.

ConcurrencyTest currently has a long timeout so I don't think we should have it in derbyall unless we reduce the timeout

So, that all said, I am going to add the following:

- Add master for SURTest for embedded client that has all the expected failures. Andreas, please make sure to update the master as more functionality comes in and the results change.

- Add SURTest and SURQueryMixTest to jdbcapi.runall. NOTE that there may be failures with the IBM JDK tests related to this.

- Add SURQueryMixTest to derbynetclientmats.runall. I'm holding off on SURTest.

- Holding off adding ConcurrencyTest to jdbcapi.runall and derbynetclientmats.runall until the timeout duration is reduced to a reasonable length

Please let me know if you have any comments.

Thanks,

David

David W. Van Couvering wrote:

Hi, Andreas. Are you expecting these tests to pass? In my environment SURTest fails with 8 failures and 52 errors, SURQueryMixTest has 64 failures and 0 errors, and ConcurrencyTest fails on a lock timeout.

David

Andreas Korneliussen wrote:

David W. Van Couvering wrote:

My JIRA rendering is completely broken, so I am unable to add a comment.

I took a look at your patch file, but it appears to be incomplete? It ends half way through a method in ConcurrencyTest.

I just downloaded my diff from JIRA, and it was all ok. Maybe it was JIRA problem when you downloaded the patch ?

Attached is the diff

Andreas

.F.F....F.F.F.F.F...E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E......java.sql.SQLException: invalid
operation: connection closed
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: invalid operation:
connection closed
        ... 17 more
E.E.F.E.E.E.E.F.F....F.F.F.
F.F...E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E......java.sql.SQLException: invalid operation: connection
closed
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: invalid operation:
connection closed
        ... 17 more
E.E.F.E.E.E.E.F.F....F.F.F.F.F...E.E.E.E.E.
E.E.E......java.sql.SQLException: invalid operation: connection closed
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: invalid operation:
connection closed
        ... 17 more
E.E.F.E.E.E.E.F.F....F.F.F.F.F...E.E.E.E.E.E.E.E......java.sql.SQLException:
invalid operation: connection closed
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: invalid operation:
connection closed
        ... 17 more
E.
E.F.E.E.E.E
There were 56 errors:
1)
testIndexedScrollInsensitiveUpdateCursorWithoutForUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 23 more
2)
testIndexedScrollInsensitiveUpdateCursorWithForUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 23 more
3)
testPrimaryKeyUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 22 more
4)
testOtherPrimaryKeyUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 22 more
5)
testOtherAndOwnPrimaryKeyUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 22 more
6)
testMultipleKeyUpdates(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 22 more
7)
testSecondaryIndexKeyUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 22 more
8)
testOtherSecondaryKeyUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 22 more
9)
testScrollablePositionedUpdateWithForUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 Execution failed due to a distribution protocol error that caused deallocation
of the conversation.  A PROTOCOL Data Stream Syntax Error was detected.
Reason: 0x3
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.DisconnectException: Execution failed due
to a distribution protocol error that caused deallocation of the conversation.
A PROTOCOL Data Stream Syntax Error was detected.  Reason: 0x3
        ... 22 more
10)
testScrollInsensitiveConcurUpdatableWithForUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 24 more
11)
testScrollInsensitiveConcurUpdatableWithForUpdate3(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 23 more
12)
testScrollInsensitiveConcurUpdatableWithoutForUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 24 more
13)
testScrollInsensitiveConcurUpdatableWithoutForUpdate2(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 24 more
14)
testScrollInsensitiveConcurUpdatableWithoutForUpdate3(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 23 more
15)
testIndexedScrollInsensitiveUpdateCursorWithoutForUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 23 more
16)
testIndexedScrollInsensitiveUpdateCursorWithForUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 23 more
17)
testPrimaryKeyUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 22 more
18)
testOtherPrimaryKeyUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 22 more
19)
testOtherAndOwnPrimaryKeyUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 22 more
20)
testMultipleKeyUpdates(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 22 more
21)
testSecondaryIndexKeyUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 22 more
22)
testOtherSecondaryKeyUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 22 more
23)
testScrollablePositionedUpdateWithForUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 Execution failed due to a distribution protocol error that caused deallocation
of the conversation.  A PROTOCOL Data Stream Syntax Error was detected.
Reason: 0x3
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.DisconnectException: Execution failed due
to a distribution protocol error that caused deallocation of the conversation.
A PROTOCOL Data Stream Syntax Error was detected.  Reason: 0x3
        ... 22 more
24)
testScrollInsensitiveConcurUpdatableWithForUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 24 more
25)
testScrollInsensitiveConcurUpdatableWithForUpdate3(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 23 more
26)
testScrollInsensitiveConcurUpdatableWithoutForUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 24 more
27)
testScrollInsensitiveConcurUpdatableWithoutForUpdate2(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 24 more
28)
testScrollInsensitiveConcurUpdatableWithoutForUpdate3(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 23 more
29)
testIndexedScrollInsensitiveUpdateCursorWithoutForUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 23 more
30)
testIndexedScrollInsensitiveUpdateCursorWithForUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 23 more
31)
testPrimaryKeyUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 22 more
32)
testOtherPrimaryKeyUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 22 more
33)
testOtherAndOwnPrimaryKeyUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 22 more
34)
testMultipleKeyUpdates(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 22 more
35)
testSecondaryIndexKeyUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 22 more
36)
testOtherSecondaryKeyUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 22 more
37)
testScrollablePositionedUpdateWithForUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 Execution failed due to a distribution protocol error that caused deallocation
of the conversation.  A PROTOCOL Data Stream Syntax Error was detected.
Reason: 0x3
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.DisconnectException: Execution failed due
to a distribution protocol error that caused deallocation of the conversation.
A PROTOCOL Data Stream Syntax Error was detected.  Reason: 0x3
        ... 22 more
38)
testScrollInsensitiveConcurUpdatableWithForUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 24 more
39)
testScrollInsensitiveConcurUpdatableWithForUpdate3(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 23 more
40)
testScrollInsensitiveConcurUpdatableWithoutForUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 24 more
41)
testScrollInsensitiveConcurUpdatableWithoutForUpdate2(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 24 more
42)
testScrollInsensitiveConcurUpdatableWithoutForUpdate3(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 23 more
43)
testIndexedScrollInsensitiveUpdateCursorWithoutForUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 23 more
44)
testIndexedScrollInsensitiveUpdateCursorWithForUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 23 more
45)
testPrimaryKeyUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 22 more
46)
testOtherPrimaryKeyUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 22 more
47)
testOtherAndOwnPrimaryKeyUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 22 more
48)
testMultipleKeyUpdates(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 22 more
49)
testSecondaryIndexKeyUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 22 more
50)
testOtherSecondaryKeyUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 22 more
51)
testScrollablePositionedUpdateWithForUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 Execution failed due to a distribution protocol error that caused deallocation
of the conversation.  A PROTOCOL Data Stream Syntax Error was detected.
Reason: 0x3
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.DisconnectException: Execution failed due
to a distribution protocol error that caused deallocation of the conversation.
A PROTOCOL Data Stream Syntax Error was detected.  Reason: 0x3
        ... 22 more
52)
testScrollInsensitiveConcurUpdatableWithForUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 24 more
53)
testScrollInsensitiveConcurUpdatableWithForUpdate3(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 23 more
54)
testScrollInsensitiveConcurUpdatableWithoutForUpdate1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 24 more
55)
testScrollInsensitiveConcurUpdatableWithoutForUpdate2(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 24 more
56)
testScrollInsensitiveConcurUpdatableWithoutForUpdate3(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)java.sql.SQLException:
 ResultSet is not updatable.
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: ResultSet is not updatable.
        ... 23 more
There were 32 failures:
1)
testConcurrencyModeWarning1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)junit.framework.AssertionFailedError:
 Expected to get a warning
2)
testConcurrencyModeWarning2(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)junit.framework.AssertionFailedError:
 Expected to get a warning
3)
testFailOnUpdateOfReadOnlyResultSet1(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)junit.framework.ComparisonFailure:
 Unexpected SQL state expected:<XJ083> but was:<null>
4)
testFailOnUpdateOfReadOnlyResultSet2(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)junit.framework.ComparisonFailure:
 Unexpected SQL state expected:<XJ083> but was:<null>
5)
testFailOnUpdateOfReadOnlyResultSet3(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)junit.framework.ComparisonFailure:
 Unexpected SQL state expected:<XJ083> but was:<null>
6)
testFailOnUpdateOfReadOnlyResultSet4(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)junit.framework.ComparisonFailure:
 Unexpected SQL state expected:<XJ083> but was:<null>
7)
testFailOnUpdateOfReadOnlyResultSet5(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)junit.framework.ComparisonFailure:
 Unexpected SQL state expected:<XJ083> but was:<null>
8)
testScrollInsensitiveConcurUpdatableWithForUpdate2(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.SURTest)junit.framework.AssertionFailedError:
 Invalid resultset concurrency on statement expected:<1008> but was:<1007>
9)
[...]
FAILURES!!!
Tests run: 128,  Failures: 32,  Errors: 56