definitely need to make the scripts more portable

i had hoped to do it but just not enough cycles in the day right now. There might be a JIRA already there for this

Kathy Saunders wrote:
Andrew McIntyre wrote:

This sounds reasonable to me. I was a little hasty in wanting to just
get rid of the scripts. Experience has shown that having an example of
how to set the classpath has always been useful, especially for people
who might be new to Java, and it is pretty common to have server start
and stop scripts.

Perhaps we should advertise that the frameworks scripts are deprecated
as of 10.2 and will be removed in 10.3, and provide new scripts in a
bin directory that rely on DERBY_HOME and JAVA_HOME and self-configure
from there, like practically every other Java project at Apache (think
Ant).

Should I formalize that with a vote? Or perhaps the vote to deprecate
the scripts can happen once we have new, better ones.

Now, off to file a JIRA for myself to write some better scripts...

andrew

+1 I like this approach. It should work well for existing customers and make it easier for new customers.

Kathy