I can tell you that this is a problem that could be
hard to fix.  The single-html books are not a normal
result of the DITA transform.  However, some time ago
Andrew found an xsl file on the web that we were able
to use to transform the half-processed PDF transforms
from the DITA process and convert them to html.
Unfortunately, since that XSL file came from outside
of DITA, it is not supported by their project.  If
someone has time they can try to modify that xsl file
to fix this problem, but I think the single-html files
were put in place as sort of a bonus when Andrew found
that xsl file, so I wouldnt expect to see as much
progress on the quality of those books as the other
two types of output, unless someone else knows what
they are doing and can fix this (I dont!) :)

Also, Andrew, do you know if the xsl file is legally
modifiable?

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/ref/ref-single.html#crefsqlj95081

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/ref/ref-single.html#N1223F

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/ref/ref-single.html#N1227F